Chicken with swollen throat

I can’t keep her mouth open long while holding her. I will check her again in the morning and see if it smells yet and see how it’s progressing.
Stand her on a table so you don't have to hold her. While she's on the table, pull her to your body, drape one arm over her and lock her in with your elbow, this frees up the hand on the draped arm and you have a free hand/arm too. Alternatively, swaddle her in a towel to capture her wings, then you should be able to handle her more easily.

I agree, it looks like it might be Canker but with no odor, it may be something else.

Is there a pocket of that material under her tongue too?

Stand her on a table so you don't have to hold her. While she's on the table, pull her to your body, drape one arm over her and lock her in with your elbow, this frees up the hand on the draped arm and you have a free hand/arm too. Alternatively, swaddle her in a towel to capture her wings, then you should be able to handle her more easily.

I agree, it looks like it might be Canker but with no odor, it may be something else.

Is there a pocket of that material under her tongue too?
Attached is a pix today. Definitely yellow, barely smelled anything-maybe vaguely like a cows mouth, like grass, but had to almost get nose to beak to smell. Not sure if canker would be strong like dead animal? Swelling underneath is not squishy. Thought maybe infection, tried to lance but nothing came out, inside red not yellow-no pus and didn’t bleed. Would canker make swelling? Tried to take off the yellow in mouth, but only got a little. It was bleeding and she was in much pain-like I was pulling her skin. Not sure how to proceed. I will do Epsom treatments until copper sulphate gets here. Thinking I might should order some antibiotic? Which is most feasible? IMG_8819.jpeg

No worries, She just died. I’m guessing whatever I did killed her, however I know she might not have made it anyway. Didn’t need her if cankers for sure, but have to wonder if it was wet pox and she might have healed when it ran its course if I’d left her alone. So hard, such a beautiful and good spirited hen. I will keep this info for next time. Thanks to you all.

No worries, She just died. I’m guessing whatever I did killed her, however I know she might not have made it anyway. Didn’t need her if cankers for sure, but have to wonder if it was wet pox and she might have healed when it ran its course if I’d left her alone. So hard, such a beautiful and good spirited hen. I will keep this info for next time. Thanks to you all.
Sorry about your hen:(

Back
Top Bottom