Liv's chickens

Songster
Nov 6, 2017
Southern Vermont
Hey everyone, I’m hoping I may be able to get some answers here about my chicken. My lovely hen, Millie, has started to become ill, and is getting worse.

I let her stay the night inside a couple weeks ago because it was cold out, and another hen wouldn’t stop trying to attack her.
She’s around 4 years old, and is a small mille fleur.
Once I brought her outside again, the other birds really started to gang up on her, and she got pretty bloody. so I took her inside again.

Her wounds healed up fairly well, though I don’t know how well her eyesight is. Here’s the thing though... recently her balance has started to get weird and I noticed that she was walking in circles. After a couple days, it continued to get worse and her head started to tilt and she started to flip over from either loss of balance, or uncontrolled muscle movements. And at this point, her head is very twisted, to the point where her head is upside down and she struggles a lot to eat and drink.

Could this be Encephalomalacia? I thought this could be the cause so I got some Nutri drench for her, but I’ve only given her a little bit so far.

Or perhaps could it be a Mareks symptom? I’ve unfortunately had the dreaded disease in my flock before so it may have started to act up now..?

Millie is truly part of the family and I love her like I love my dog. It would break our hearts to have to put her down, but if she is suffering and doesn’t recover, then we will do what we have to.

I know this is a lot to read, so thanks to anyone who has read it! I’m open to any ideas or thoughts on this. Thanks!!

Hi. Sorry. It sounds like wry neck. Honestly, I've culled any bird that does that. Or they eventually starve to death . I know some people try to nurse them back to health, or recommend special vitamins. I am the first one to be nursing one of my feathered babies. But in 12 years I've learned that sometimes culling is merciful. It does not sound like Marek's which would present with paralysis of legs as the prime symptom . I wish you well.

It would be good to continue your vitamins that have thiamine and get some 400 IU vitamin E softgels, and give one of those daily. That might help with the wry neck or encephalomalcia. There are many causes of the neurological wry neck symptoms, including Mareks and head injury, but giving vitamins for a couple of weeks would be what I would do. Try taking her in your lap in a towel and feeding her a very watery mash of chicken feed, soft scrambled egg, and a spoonful of plain yogurt at least twice a day. Keep her separate in a dog crate or basket so that she is not bullied. Here is a video of feeding:

It would be good to continue your vitamins that have thiamine and get some 400 IU vitamin E softgels, and give one of those daily. That might help with the wry neck or encephalomalcia. There are many causes of the neurological wry neck symptoms, including Mareks and head injury, but giving vitamins for a couple of weeks would be what I would do. Try taking her in your lap in a towel and feeding her a very watery mash of chicken feed, soft scrambled egg, and a spoonful of plain yogurt at least twice a day. Keep her separate in a dog crate or basket so that she is not bullied. Here is a video of feeding:
Okay. I’ll will definitely try doing as much as I can to help her. She’s still hanging in here and I will definitely continue to try to nurse her back to health. Thank you for the info! ❤️

Hi. Sorry. It sounds like wry neck. Honestly, I've culled any bird that does that. Or they eventually starve to death . I know some people try to nurse them back to health, or recommend special vitamins. I am the first one to be nursing one of my feathered babies. But in 12 years I've learned that sometimes culling is merciful. It does not sound like Marek's which would present with paralysis of legs as the prime symptom . I wish you well.
Okay. Yes, I’m thinking if she does not start to improve soon, then we may need to think about putting her down so that she isn’t suffering. I would agree about the Mareks as well, I’m thankful that it doesn’t seem to be the problem here...
Thank you for your help, it’s much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom