Chicken with weak legs.

LunaSara

Hatching
Jan 23, 2022
Hello guys!
So I live in Auckland New Zealand but grew up on a farm in Canada. I had many many chickens that kept me company when I was young but I've never had a chicken with a problem like this.

She is a few months old, Blue Orpington hen. Named Prim :)
And since she was just a few weeks old she has had some trouble with her legs.
It comes and goes but it's as though her bones are very brittle. She hobbles around and uses her wings to balance her. No external signs of brusing, cuts or anything that would cause this. So I'm thinking it may be a deficiency or genetics. She is still in happy spirits tho and follows her sister around diligently.
Any ideas as to what this may be and how to help her would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Welcome to BYC.
I agree with your assessment regarding your chick; either genetic or vitamin/mineral deficiency.
There's not much that can be done if it's genetic.
It could possibly be a calcium deficiency. You can give her a liquid calcium supplement along with vitamin D which helps with calcium absorption. Hopefully it will help her.

Welcome to BYC.
I agree with your assessment regarding your chick; either genetic or vitamin/mineral deficiency.
There's not much that can be done if it's genetic.
It could possibly be a calcium deficiency. You can give her a liquid calcium supplement along with vitamin D which helps with calcium absorption. Hopefully it will help her.
Thanks so much!
I'll give both those a try and see how she reacts.
Much appreciated xx

Back
Top Bottom