Chicken with wheezing/sneezing sound

kaitlynasmith

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2021
Hi! I have a 14 month Orpington who started making this weird wheezing, honking, sneezing sound. I noticed it about 36 hours ago. I uploaded a video on YouTube… link below… my other chickens were making a lot of noise in the background, but I think it captures what she sounds like. She doesn’t seem sick. She has been active, I’ve seen her eating and drinking, her eyes look bright, and her comb is red. She didn’t lay an egg yesterday, but did the day before. She has been sitting on the nest for long periods yesterday and earlier today, almost like she is broody, she hasn’t laid, and then comes off after hours of sitting. I don’t feel an egg, her vent looks good. She isn’t looking like she is straining to lay an egg. Anyone have any thoughts on what is up with my girl? Thanks in advance for your help!

It sounds like mild stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. It's often a bit of feed or something that gets caught and it will resolve on it's own. If it does not, then it could be swelling from a respiratory infection. You can look in the beak and throat to see if you see anything obvious. I have also had a couple of birds do this in the summer when they get too hot, once they cool off it stops.

Back
Top Bottom