Chicken Won’t Go in Coop

BecKub

Songster
May 11, 2015
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey all,
I have 36 chickens of mostly mixed breeds. We recently added pullets to the flock which are probably 24 weeks old now (got them over a month ago). 2 of those are Amerucanas. They seem to get picked on the most and try to stay away from the others for the most part. At night, one of them keeps jumping out of our enclosure and roosting in an adjacent shed. Every single night we have to go get her and put her in the coop. It’s getting extremely annoying and inconvenient. Is there any way we can get her to go in the coop at night?! I’m assuming it’s because she gets picked on, but there are plenty of spots where she can roost away from the other chickens. In fact, when we put her in there each night we have her roost separately so she’s not picked on first thing in the morning.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Did that 1 ever sleep in the coop?
How many birds did you add and how did you add them?

First thought is, cover the top of the enclosure.
Second thought is, how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics, inside and out, might help someone spot a problem/solution.

Did that 1 ever sleep in the coop?
How many birds did you add and how did you add them?

First thought is, cover the top of the enclosure.
Second thought is, how big is your coop and run, in feet by feet?
Dimensions and pics, inside and out, might help someone spot a problem/solution.

Yes she has been found in the coop at night before on her own. Generally away from all the other birds.
They were quarantined separately for 5 days and then placed in the coop after dark the last night.

Coop is about 12’ x 8’ and run is 12’ x 16’. The coop was an old shed so ceiling is high. They’re let out into the yard during the day so they’re only in the run for a short while.

They were quarantined separately for 5 days and then placed in the coop after dark the last night.
Were they 'quarantined' next tot he coop and run?
How long has it been since the night addition?
How many new birds were added?

There’s some pics on my Facebook page of the coop
Please post them here.

An 8x12 is not big enough for 36.

It is 96 square feet so if there is nothing taking up space like nest boxes or feed stations it can hold 24 comfortably.

The run is big enough to handle 19 birds.

Might need to expand.

Were they 'quarantined' next tot he coop and run?
How long has it been since the night addition?
How many new birds were added?

Please post them here.

The quarantine coop was close to the coop and run but not right next to it. We couldn’t get it that close with the lay of the land.
They’ve been in the big coop for about a month and there were 7 added at that time. Another ameraucana and 5 production reds.

One thing I have found about EEs: if they have the ear muffs they are at a disadvantage. Can't find food or treats, don't see others sneaking up on them, they are naturals to be bullied. You might try trimming their ear muffs down short, so they can see.

Back
Top Bottom