Chicken won’t go in hen house at night

In the future I may plan on leaving it open all the time. But they’ve only been out there a few weeks so I’d like to give it time to see what predators may try to get in overnight, if any at all, just so that before I do leave the pop door open all night I’ll have a better idea as to what I may need to make more secure or change. My enclosure has yet to be tested by any predators, at least from what I can tell. So I’m still a little leery about something trying to get into the run overnight. And I’m a little OCD/paranoid still with being a new chicken owner. Yeah, I know something could happen at any given time. Tonight, tomorrow night, next year. But I’m giving the presence of my chickens being here time to sit and see what critters I may attract and just how secure my set up is. I have an acre yard. Neighbors on all sides except the back and it’s not fenced in. However, what was once a horse pasture behind us, which is closer to my coop as it sits on the backside of my yard, they’ve fenced off and are building a huge house there. So I’m also thinking that once the house gets finished and the owners move in, that perhaps their presence will help keep any critters away that may have previously crossed that vacant lot to get to my yard. I’ve seen foxes, coyotes, trapped a opossum and a coon, as well as the occasional stray dog. So they’re here.
Is there perches in side the coop? I did not at first in mine and they would sleep under it on the 2x4 used for support. If so then it might be that a few extra windows with wire over them to keep them safe will help.

My flock on average are 70 days old. There are 12 of them and at night they huddle out side the hen house and I have to pick each one up every night to put to bed about 9pm. They aren’t afraid of the house. It’s completely predator proof and they go in and out all day long. They are getting heavy and I don’t know how to get them to go in by themselves.
Get a flashlight and a handful of treats. Shine the flashlight into the house, they will come in, reward with treats. In 3-4 days they will go in on their own!

I was new to chickens in March and it was pretty much the same: during the day they went inside alright and at night would perch outside. I picked them up and sat them inside for a couple of nights and the 4th or 5th night I found they were perching inside the henhouse.
That lasted for a few weeks and now all but the two dwarfs are back sleeping on the perches in the run. I did think through all the issues discussed here: perches, ventilation, space, access, parasites,... - it all seems good.

So I decided to let go. What's so bad if they sleep outside? Isn't it just our expectation that that's what we want them to do? They're safe in the run. They're comfortable and they sure know better than me where they like to sleep.

I am wondering if it is too dark? Maybe put a flashlight so they can see the perch...wait till it is dark outside and see if they are perched....if so it maybe they can't see the perch to fly up to.

My flock on average are 70 days old. There are 12 of them and at night they huddle out side the hen house and I have to pick each one up every night to put to bed about 9pm. They aren’t afraid of the house. It’s completely predator proof and they go in and out all day long. They are getting heavy and I don’t know how to get them to go in by themselves.

Do the light method it works like a charm for me. put a light inside the coop and turn it on when its dark or around the time they need to go in and they will be attracted to the light! just check to make sure everyone gets in and they learn the behavior then go in on their own after a couple of weeks with out the light. they will go in when its dark outside.

Have/had the same problem with mine ! Got 4 new birds this year (aged 9 months & 5 months now) have had older/larger birds in this coop before and all slept well in there.
Of these 4 new ones there was only the 'mother hen' who'd go to bed, the other 3 roosted cuddled tightly together on the coop roof and had to be put inside !
Have now built an 'extension' to the whole thing (a shop bought unit) altered and then bolted on to the side so the side doors lined up and in effect making it 2 spacious bedrooms but connected.
Now have just one 9 month old resisting and the others take themselves off to bed - proves the 'protest' to be a 'personal space' issue.
Not an expert but you may find the same ?

Maybe it’s too hot inside the coop. My chickens are doing the same. I added a fan inside the coop and now my chickens are sleeping inside.
I too added a fan to my coop! Even though it's not in the Roost it still draws air across
20200731_210022.jpg

Is there a door on the coop? I see a ramp in the photos, do you shut them in at night and let them out in the morning?
They need a routine I think.
I was thinking the same thing. If the run were predator proof, I'd let them do as they wish. Eventually, they'd go inside. As the run is now, with the 2x4 wire, they certainly need to be cooped up, WITH a door you can close.

Back
Top Bottom