Chicken won't leave nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hemmelou, Sep 12, 2008.

1. hemmelou

hemmelou New Egg

Sep 12, 2008
    I have a chicken who has begun to sit on her egg all day. We do not have any roosters so it can't be fertile. What can I do to correct this problem?

2. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    To stop her being broody you need to make her uncomfortable!! You can do this by dipping her bum in water or putting ice in a bag under her. I have never tried this but others say it works. What I do is put her in my tack room on concrete with no bedding. She is caged with food and water and I keep letting her out to check if she has stopped being broody. If she has I let her go back with the others and if not she continues in solitary. It does not usually take more than a few days. They lose condition quickly so you need to make sure they eat.
    And watch out when you pick her up - she will be quite cross and sort of growl and maybe peck you. I usually pick up from behind very firmly or wear gloves!!

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have one that has been broody for 2 1/2 weeks. I just throw her out in the yard & she picks a couple times & sometimes drinks the back to the nest. I might try ice in a zip lock bag
    what you think?:|

4. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Quote:Yeah - that should work. As long as she can't get comfortable and make a nest then she should stop thinking about sitting. Fingers crossed.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put a brick in the nest. They would still lay eggs in the nest but didn't stay in the nest.

6. firem3

firem3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Odenville Alabama
    DLS you got me with the bug!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by