Chicken won't leave nest

hemmelou

Hatching
11 Years
Sep 12, 2008
I have a chicken who has begun to sit on her egg all day. We do not have any roosters so it can't be fertile. What can I do to correct this problem?

To stop her being broody you need to make her uncomfortable!! You can do this by dipping her bum in water or putting ice in a bag under her. I have never tried this but others say it works. What I do is put her in my tack room on concrete with no bedding. She is caged with food and water and I keep letting her out to check if she has stopped being broody. If she has I let her go back with the others and if not she continues in solitary. It does not usually take more than a few days. They lose condition quickly so you need to make sure they eat.
And watch out when you pick her up - she will be quite cross and sort of growl and maybe peck you. I usually pick up from behind very firmly or wear gloves!!

I have one that has been broody for 2 1/2 weeks. I just throw her out in the yard & she picks a couple times & sometimes drinks the back to the nest. I might try ice in a zip lock bag
what you think?:|

DLS you got me with the bug!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom