Chicken won't walk

Columbus

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 4, 2012
Ballan, Australia
Hi, I have a chicken -think a bantam x that is about 6 months old. She has never laid an egg and sprained her leg a couple of weeks ago. She was hopping around on one leg and I put colloidal silver gel on daily until the heat went down and she seemed to not mind me touching her leg when it cooled down either. So I think the leg is better, but she seems to have stopped walking. I pick her up in the morning and take her to where the other chickens are playing and then take her in at night. I put food in front of her, and she eats it all. I have put a splint on the leg in question, but that causes her to hold the leg like it is an alien fixture and still not walk and the other leg is fine, in fact I think both are. Any ideas, as my local vet no good with chickens last time I went and I went to a bird vet the time I had a problem before that and $600 later, they suggested euthanise? thanks

I'd like to add that I have this morning given her some meloxicam 0,1ml as mareks has been suggested to me. She is still not walking, but eating and drinking. The meloxicam only one dose given so far, but it seems to have given a bit of life to her, and she is trying to move more.
It is the chicken in my profile pic on the left. I am not really sure what type of chicken this is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom