Chicken wound

Bigrooster1

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
So I had a Americauna get worked over pretty good by another hen. I put some medicated dust on it because I didn’t have much time to deal with it. It had all its feathers peck around her butt. She’s just stays puffed out and doesn’t move much. Any advice would help

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpeg
    IMG_0498.jpeg
    568.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    616.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    828.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0496.jpeg
    IMG_0496.jpeg
    541.2 KB · Views: 19
Poor thing! Did you get a chance to examine the damage? Are there any deep wounds? I would try to assess the damage and rinse out any wounds you find. Be sure to examine her all around. Apply a thick coat of ointment such as neosporin without pain relieve in it to the wounds. You’ll want to keep them moist to heal better. Keep her somewhere warm, dark and quiet, separated from the flock if she has exposed flesh and open wounds until they scab over or aren’t noticeable. Offer her sugar water and electrolytes to treat for shock right away if she isn’t acting herself - puffed up, isolated, lethargic. She may respond to an offering of raw or scrambled egg, too. You may have to use a syringe or dropper and drop some on the side of her beak to get her to drink some of the electrolytes/sugar water.

What is the medicated dust?
I used wonder dust because it’s all I had. I’m not sure if it’s wise to use it. However, I’ve been working a lot lately with late hours. So time is hard to come by. This was just a quick remedy.

Oh okay. Did you get a chance to give her some electrolytes or look at the damage closely yet? I am hopeful it isn’t too bad and she just needs some time to heal and perk up. Prayers for her.
Unfortunately she passed. I checked her and I never saw any open wounds or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom