CHICKEN WOUND

gjm1957

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Please, Please give me some treatment info. Our bantam polish hen was attached by a dog this morning. She has a wound near the body on her wing (puncture wound). No bleeding. Lots of loss of feathers on her back after being tossed around like a toy.

Should we clean the puncture wound? If so, with what? And, should we put antibiotic ointment on the wound?

We have her inside in a box because she is in shock, but she is moving around some in the box.

Thanks so much

Sorry to hear that! I would clean the wound good and well using alcohol and or hydrogen peroxide, then yes put some kind of antibiotic on it and try to keep some on there for several days. Make sure she has plenty to drink and I might put some kind of energy supplement in the water for her. Best of Luck!

Okay, so no response... so we put some hydrogen peroxide on the wound. She did not like that, but it bubbled some. Dabbed it off with cotton balls and applied a little more peroxide. Fewer bubbles. We have opted for no further treatment for now and will keep her inside in the box so we can monitor her.

The wound is not visible unless we pull the feathers back. Do you think we should return her to the general population after she seems less traumatized??

I might would just so she isn't lonely, that can do more damage than anything. But only if she won't be picked at. Sometimes chickens are apt to further damage a wound so you'll have to watch for that. Also if your putting her back I would treat it as I stated above, cleaning daily and applying antibiotics. I might would also lightly bandage it!

We had one that had a huge wound about 3 inches long from a hawk attack. But it was hidden by her wing so the others couldn't see it. We washed it up and put Bluekote on it and as long as it was clean and dry we left it alone. I wouldn't use any more Hydrogen Peroxide on it.

Thank you for your response... we have applied some antibiotic ointment and she is resting in a box with some water and chopped egg yolk & oatmeal (our version of "chicken crack"). It has been about 2 hrs. since the attack and she hasn't had any interest in the water or food. But, we have been treating the wound during this time. Hopefully, she doesn't have any internal injuries we can't see.

I imagine that she is very stressed. From the sound of it if the wound is on her wing then there probably are not any internal injuries. Chicken Crack! I like That! Always looking for energy supplements so you you have also helped me! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom