Chicken Yard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by steve78, Jul 22, 2010.

1. steve78

steve78 New Egg

Jul 21, 2010
    It's been several years since I have kept chickens, and have always kept mine in smaller coops with covered tops. I remember my Grandmother had a large yard fenced with no top probably six feet tall. My question is would five foot wire be tall enough? My yard will be probably 30 by 16. I thought that her yard being large is what kept them from flying out. I have large breed chickens I have heard they are not as bad to fly as some of the lighter breeds. Thanks

2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    I was wondering the same. My coop is Ft. Knox with a 7' covered run (20 by 17') but my second coop (in progress) will be bigger and have a much bigger run, perhaps 30 by 25'. I don't want to cover it and I'd lock the chickens in at night.
    I thought 5 feet would be fine...we had that for our chickens when I was growing up and it seemed to be fine.
    However, I have found my barred Rock, Lilith, walking on top of the 7' run, a la Barbara. It did make her butt look fat. She flew straight up there, no problem. I'd have to clip flight feathers if I want to keep the new flock in a 5' tall pen.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by