Chicken Yard

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Andee8302, May 28, 2012.

1. Andee8302

Andee8302 In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    I have 14 baby chicks that are two weeks old. We are starting to plan and build our chicken coop. Could I have some opinions on how bog the coop should be and how big the pen should be? Including how tall the fence post should be? Thanks Everyone, I appreciate your opinions. [​IMG]

2. putty

putty In the Brooder

most people say 4 sq foot per bird in coop,10 sq foot per bird for run,
    I would make the post big enough for you to walk around without bending over,
    good luck,

3. Jakoda

Jakoda Songster

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I am getting 10 babies next week, my coop is a partioned part of my shed (below). it's 4 x 12.
    Outside area will be 12 x 20 (pics below) the posts are 6 ft tall, and we are putting on a pitched roof attaching to the shed.

[​IMG]

4. Andee8302

Andee8302 In the Brooder

May 20, 2012
    Ellsworth, Maine
    Thanks Putty !! My thoughts exactly but my bf was thinking not much taller than the chickens but I told him I had to clean it. LOL

Jakoda, that's too funny !! My bf is building so that one side will be a shed for us and the other side will be for the chickens. Love your coop, I had to show my bf. [​IMG]

5. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    The more room they have outdoors the happier the chicks will be. If you can have a large enough are you might can even keep grass growing in it. Would have to be really big for 14 chicks though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: