Chicken yawning after deworming

kaydeetee86

Songster
Jul 12, 2020
Kansas
I recently dewormed my flock after finding a roundworm in one of my BO’s stool. (She was sitting on my lap, and decided to poop ON me. That was a great surprise. 🤢 I guess I’m glad she told me, at least?)

I did 5 days of Safeguard, once a day. Their final dose was on Monday of this week. On Thursday, my other BO started yawning and shaking her head. I only saw her do it a couple of times. I just went out to check on them today (Friday) and she’s doing it constantly.

… now what?

She wasn’t doing it before this. She has no symptoms other than yawning - not wheezing or gasping. Nobody else is yawning.

I don’t think it’s weather or heat related, because she isn’t panting or holding her wings out. She’s doing it too frequently to be rearranging her crop.

Is it too soon for more dewormer? And what do I use, if I already went through a round of Safeguard so recently?

I already have Safeguard paste, Ivermectin pour-on, and Zimecterin Gold paste. Will any of those work? We have a Tractor Supply nearby if I need something else.

I’ve been trying to look things up on my own, but it’s hard to find a consensus.

Thank you in advance for any help! Maggie is a sweetheart, and I just want her to be okay.

I edited my post for clarity.

I just worry because she’s doing it a lot. I thought Safeguard was supposed to kill gapeworms, if that’s what’s going on. (Some sites say yes, some say no.)

Check her crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat or drink. It should be empty then. Some birds just really stuff their crops and you will see a lot of crop adjusting. If the crop is empty in the morning, then everything is working as it should.

Back
Top Bottom