Chickenless.... how did i end up here?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by what was i thinking, Feb 5, 2011.

1. what was i thinking

what was i thinking Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    I haven't been on here in a while. I was a addict for awhile. I was buying and hatching all kinds off eggs. At one point I was up to about 100 total... chickens, chicks, ducks, and ducklings. Then my life changed. My husband decided he didn't want to be married anymore. I went to stay at my moms. I started to get rid of a bunch of the chickens and at the same time had a horrible massacure from raccoons and opposums. (put a night cam in barn to see what it was) this was while they were still at the farm with my husband. I finally was able to take about 20 chickens with me to my mothers. But they are all gone now too, gave them to friends and sold some. I have moved three times since July, so there was no way for me to take them. I can't believe how much I miss them. It is weird and my sounds silly to someone that doesn't have chickens, but I really do miss them. I can get my bantams back but that is only two and one lf hen. But I NEED MORE! I received an old wooden bator that holds up to 400 eggs and I am ready to fire her up.... (again, used it last spring)
    I was a recovering addict, but I WANT to fall off the wagon and be an addict again! Doesnt sound very good, I'm sure. Anyone want to help feed my addiction?
    I am back on my farm, my husband is gone. Sad but I miss my animals more than him. I miss my old boy RJ also, more than my husband. He was my 1/4 horse that was in his late 30's he was put down in Oct.
    Thanks for listening. I missed this site and missed my chickens. Hope I have a better yr this yr. Hope everyone has a good yr.

2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I hope this year is bunches better for you. Since you are back on your farm, could you start up your bator and get your flock started again? Or just start a few?

3. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    Thank you, I hope it is better too. It has to be.

I hope to get a flock again. I have been looking for eggs, chicks and hens on craigslist. There isn't too much on there. And if there is they are like $10 to $15 a hen. Which I understand is the going rate but too much for me to spend on starting a flock.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  4. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    and yes.... I am ready to fire the FARMMASTER back up..... incubating chicks and ducklings makes me very happy.... will take my mind off most my troubles.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I dont know how far you are from me mapquest me 12989??? Depending on what your looking for I can give you a good deal on what I hatched out and what Im hatching out! I also have a few roos and a few hens I can part with-say the word and Ill give you a deal you cant refuse [​IMG] !!!! Im sorry things have been so bad-Ive been there! [​IMG] PM me:)
    I have plenty of eggs too
    Oh and [​IMG] on DH

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  6. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Welcome back! I'm sure you'll soon be surrounded by birds, again.

[​IMG]

7. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    I'm sorry you had to go through such a rough time. But it sounds like a good thing you have the farm and can have chickens again. Good luck [​IMG]

8. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I wish u the best,we never know what surprises life has in store for us.Take care and get that brooder going!

9. dmccann

dmccann Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    darlington pa
    My Coop
    I wish u the best,we never know what surprises life has in store for us.Take care and get that brooder going!

10. what was i thinking

Oct 1, 2008
    cny ny
    thanks everyone for the well wishes. i am gonna make it thru this hard time in my life.
    i still look in my nesting boxes every once and a while. thinking there is a hiding chicken somewhere that is just gonna leave me an egg, i guess. its hard to break old habits. another time i realized i needed chickens.... i was gonna make a cake to take somewhere, but i didn't have enough eggs....lol. i have never been with out eggs before. (well not in the last few yrs at least)
    sonew123 i am on the oswego/onondaga county boarder, few hours away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by