Chickennug

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickennugs, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Chickennugs

Chickennugs New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Hi peeps! New member from Texas and saying hello

2. Chickennugs

Chickennugs New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    Got a question....got a hen that just started laying and her eggs are green. Now she came from one of my other Road Island Reds that I raised in an incubator. How is this?

3. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Hello and welcome to the site!! It is always great to find new chicken people to share with and ask questions of.... if you aren't familiar with the site yet it is easy to follow the basic format. The 'Learning Center' tab above will be a great source of information. There are 'local' threads if you are looking to make connections with chicken folks in your state which can be found under the 'social' portion, then go to the 'where am I, where are you' area.

here's a shortcut to the Texas thread..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/44/texas

welcome again and hope you enjoy all of your time here... but be careful.... chickens and BYC are both addictive hobbies! [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. fisherlady

fisherlady Overrun With Chickens

Most likely her father was of a breed or mix of a breed which carried the green/blue egg gene. Easter Eggers, Americauna and Legbars come to mind as possible genetic contributors.
    Depending on your egg source there may be a distant background of non RIR in your hen's background also. Chickens genetics and the mixing of those genes to get specific traits and the way dominant and recessive genes present in the young is an endless science and can make for some fascinating experiments and some incredible headaches! LOL

1 person likes this.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Which part of Texas are you from? My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. :eek:) You're green egg layer is not a pure RIR, but an Easter Egger. Easter Eggers are hybrids produced by crossing a blue egg layer with a brown egg layer (an RIR in your case). The resulting offspring lay green colored eggs. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. Greywolf1962

Greywolf1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2014
    Huntsville, Tx.

Hello and welcome to a great place to learn and share.
    What part if Texas? I'm about an hour or so north of Houston in New Waverly.

Again welcome and ask alot of questions alot of very smart folks here.

9. Chickennugs

Chickennugs New Egg

Dec 17, 2014
    I'm in Huffman, TX. A small town northeast of Houston

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by