Chickens acting crazy-is it cuz of Spring??

Futuregreenefarm

Songster
May 9, 2019
Morganton, GA
I've had chickens one year in April so my first spring with hens and pullets and 2 cockerels. I have already separated the rooster from them not in charge. The other Cockerel though young seems pretty good to the hens. But 4 are laying and 2 are at point of lay. They act crazy sometimes. My oldest hen (the mother of all the rest) has started running the pen and hollaring a lot. Sometimes the others seem upset by it and sometimes the Cockerel too. But at other times they just ignore her. Maybe she is upset she can't get the same box to lay in? I also have 3 pullets, one is obviously a runt and still very small. The bigger pullets are starting to go into the boxes and are very red in the face. One of them is now really pecking on the runt and hasn't been doing that before. All the older ones (except the Cockerel with them) have always pushed her around more but it had seemed to get a little better until the red faces. The Cockerel is good to her and she uses him as a shield sometimes, bless his heart. I know spring brings on hormones for cockerels but my pullets/hens are acting crazy. Is that normal??

I wonder why the pullet who is probably about to start laying is suddenly trying to assert herself over the runt and I wonder if there is any way I could alleviate that? She's kinda getting mean, like not only pecking but chasing her and everything and she's never been that way to her before. I was "gifted" chicks and I had no idea about the pecking order. I immediately researched food and housing and all those things but I honestly admit this pecking order thing has really discouraged me in raising chickens.

I don't think the food is a problem. I feed All Flock 16% and only give scratch grains and very rarely treat with anything else. I also provide grit and oyster shell. I just recently switched them from chick feed that was 18% to the All Flock. But the overcrowded issue, I am confused on. They have a very big run. And I have allowed them to free range a lot recently. Yet I still have issues like this one.

I don't think the food is a problem. I feed All Flock 16% and only give scratch grains and very rarely treat with anything else. I also provide grit and oyster shell. I just recently switched them from chick feed that was 18% to the All Flock. But the overcrowded issue, I am confused on. They have a very big run. And I have allowed them to free range a lot recently. Yet I still have issues like this one.
Try adding in another feeder and more entertaining things? What breeds?

In pullets that are sexually maturing you can sometimes see more aggressive behaviors as things like status and access to food becomes more important to them as they are about to start reproducing. It generally settles down after a few weeks. Think of them as moody teenagers.

There are multiple feeders and waterers.

They are just mixed backyard chickens. I guess I could add something to their run. It is odd with a big forcynthia bush they love but not much else besides the houses. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks!
Stumps, more Roosts, dust bath.. toss out a purple Cabbage?

Back
Top Bottom