chickens acting werid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by inermotion, Oct 18, 2012.

1. inermotion

inermotion Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2012
    Today I go outside to let the geese, ducks, chickens & goats out, feed them & give them all water, don't worry they all have separate pens & the chickens have there own coop. Anyways I let the chickens out & go into the ducks & geese's pen to put there food away so the chickens don't get to it (we let them feed overnight & then free range all day) 2 of our orpington chickens ran in there really fast & was running fast up & down the pen jumping/flying, one of them were running in circles & the other
    orpington was ramming itself against the fence so I picked her up & her crown was bleeding from it! I have NEVER seen any of our chickens act this way before, they all know how to get out of the pen & if the fence door isn't open (it was open at the time) they fly over it. When I got her cleaned up I let her down & she seemed fine. It was really odd behavior. they weren't running from me, they all love me =) they always swarm me looking for bread Lol. Idk if this is normal behavior or not? This is our first year having chickens & there all 6 months old.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The behavior you mentioned sounds abnormal IMO. Is it possible that there was something they were afraid of, such as a snake?

3. Autumn D

Autumn D Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2012
    my birds who live i cages are super excited when i let them out and they fly in cirlces and act preeety hyper, there just happy to be out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by