Chickens all Processed (Pic)

kristen_k

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Mason City, Nebraska
Today we did the final group of chickens, all 19 (did 25 last week) I got my folks to come up to the place and help out. All dressed out at about 4 lbs, 7weeks old.

89287_dsc00854.jpg

Wow, good job!!! I am contemplating getting some meaties, but am leery because:
1. I know I couldn't kill them myself
2. I know I can't deal with processing them

Sigh......I wish I kinew I could do it. I've heard the meat tatstes much better.

Yay for all of you! What a blessing to have your folks there to share the fun, too!

May I ask, in that photo are all 19 of the birds there just plucked, all waiting to be cleaned? Did that way work out for you, or would you do them assembly-line fashion next time? I find that if I leave them too long after dispatching that they start to get stiff. I usually have to work alone, and I'll only do 2 at a time from start to finish before I do the next pair.

Enjoy all your tasty family meals!

Thank you all!!!!!

They went from the chopping block, into the scalder, plucked, put into ice water, hung up to dry and then singed, back into ice water to rub of the singed hairlike feathers, feet cut off, gutted, rinsed out really good and then into the freezer bag. Wow that sounds lilke a lot of work when I read it. It took about an hour and a half with 4 of us and everything worked out great. I don't think I could handle doing that stuff all by myself!!!!

Back
Top Bottom