Chickens and bananas????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by along121, Aug 8, 2013.

1. along121

along121 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Is it O.K to peel a banana and give some to the full grown chickens? I have a banana that is starting to turn a little brown and now no one will eat it. I know chickens eat almost anything, but will it hurt them?

2. itsybitsyfroggy

itsybitsyfroggy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2012
    Chickens can have bananas. Even when they are brown. I give mine the old bananas and even the peels.

3. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Bananas and meal worms are about equal on my chicken's scale of favorite treats. If it were possible (and maybe it is) I'd say they get giddy over bananas!

4. Two Chicksahs

Two Chicksahs Chillin' With My Peeps

I just gave my girls some watermelon rind with a side of banana. We usually have extra since the "nanners" ripen so quickly all at once so I figured what the heck after reading that they like it here on the forum. It did however get mixed reviews and it was comical seeing them wipe their beaks and then going for more.

5. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    My girls give bananas mixed reviews too. That's why I mash them up into yogurt or scrambled egg. No question of them being devoured then!

6. Two Chicksahs

Two Chicksahs Chillin' With My Peeps

I still have mixed emotions about giving them chicken byproducts or eggs. It reminds me a bit about the movies "Soilant Green" (sp) and "Fried Green tomatoes..." I'm most likely being silly but... I'm trying out different treats as my girls get older. Thanks for the reply! You must be burning up down there in FL. Thankfully it cooled down today in the Western part of WA.

7. DigMyChicks

DigMyChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2015
    Appleton, MN
    My chickens love bananas!!

8. N F C

N F C got coffee? Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    "Soilant Green", now that was a freaky movie. I really liked "Fried Green Tomatoes", even with the bbq scene.

I don't fix the girls eggs like we do ours. For them I just crack eggs into a bowl, add a bit of water, stir and nuke...no oil, salt, pepper, etc. I get what you mean about giving them eggs though. DH laughs at me for telling the girls they're getting scrambles...not scrambled eggs...just scrambles. What can I say, don't want to confuse them right? [​IMG]

This week our weather has been better, we've had a little rain most every day. For the 2 weeks before that everyone was miserable...hot, humid, no rain. Much better now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by