chickens and bunnies - can they live together?

Hi!
big_smile.png

I was at a farm store when I saw a couple of bunnies.
bun.gif
bun.gif
I thought it would be super cool to have some along with our chickens.

Does the bunny have to be in a cage within the coop?
How should I separate the food?
What breeds go well with chickens?

If you have answers, please give them!

(yes I know this is a chicken forum, but I bet some of you have bunnies as well!)

THANK YOU!!

Hi!
big_smile.png

I was at a farm store when I saw a couple of bunnies.
bun.gif
bun.gif
I thought it would be super cool to have some along with our chickens.

Does the bunny have to be in a cage within the coop?
How should I separate the food?
What breeds go well with chickens?

If you have answers, please give them!

(yes I know this is a chicken forum, but I bet some of you have bunnies as well!)

THANK YOU!!

I have had bunnies for over 10 years, and they are very social. Foyr months ago I purchased four chickens and built a big coop (10 x 10), and put the chickens and one bunny together. The bunny is around 5 years old, and recently lost her mate and was lonely. Everyone gets along GREAT, and the bunny is always laying around the yard (they all free roam during the day). If the bunny was being picked on, then I am sure she would hide from the chickens, but she doesn’t do that.

Also, I have a three story bunny condo in the coop that the chickens don’t go in, and this is where the bunny sleeps. The chickens have their roost, which the bunny would not be able to balance on if she tried. This gives all the animals “their own” place.

I haven’t been able to completely keep the bunny out of the food (she eats whatever the chickens leave in the floor), but it hasn’t caused any problem.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom