1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Calcium

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mccartyfarms512, Jun 3, 2016.

1. mccartyfarms512

mccartyfarms512 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2015
    Carlisle, Ky
    A couple of my hens are laying eggs with rough shells and some with extra deposits on them, I've been told its from my girls not having enough calcium so I bought some oyster shells but they WILL NOT eat them, I've mixed it in with their feed and their scratch. Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks

2. tyjorg

tyjorg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2015
    From my experience I just put them in a bowl in a corner (along with some granite) and they will go eat them when they need, its not something they eat a ton of but will wonder over and eat a few pieces here and there. I would just try that instead of mixing with the food so their wont be as much waste. It might take them a few days to figure out where to get their calcium at but once they do they will find it. Mixing kelp meal with the food is a good idea however.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by