chickens and dogs

turnleftdad

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 3, 2010
hello all. kinda new to chickens have 2 ri reds 12 weeks 2ri reds 20 weeks they get along great. just got 2 buff orps i cant put them in the pen with the big ones because they hurt them so built them thier own coop with a cage that goes inside the big pen. so that they are not stuck in the little cage all the time i let them out in the back yard. i worried about the dogs nina a 120#german shepard and grace a goofy looking mut because they tried to bite the ri reds and the ri reds squawk and make noise when the dogs are around. the buffs seem to have no problems with the dogs and the dogs seem to like the buffs. they even share the chicken food i throw down. will my ri reds ever get used to the dogs so i can let them out too. they have a 30" by 5" run so its not like they dont have room to rome

Welcome Tldad from Eastern Wa. If you let them out make sure you are there to supervise. Try posting under managing your flock and you will get plenty of tips.
hu.gif

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Good luck with your dogs. Good of you to be concerned. Dogs can be a serious threat to chickens

Imp

welcome-byc.gif
. I found it interesting that your dogs like the Buff Orpingtons but other chickens were picking on them. Buff Orpintons always seem to be at the bottom of the pecking order in any flock. They are such sweet, calm birds. My favorites! Best of luck with your flock.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom