Chickens and ducks versus honey bees in spacing?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Hi there,

So I wanted to ask if there's any problems with having poultry near honey bees? And in particularly ducks, but also chickens is this an issue?

And if there is or isn't is it also going to be an issue of keeping them separate or spacing requirements to avoid issues?

To me it doesn't sound bad. And it sounds fun to figure out if it could be done.

Its not something that is a for sure thing yet, but if the family doesn't mutiny then why not...

The irony is that they were freaking out last year when I wanted to do bees, but now they are like, oh those messy very ducks are so cute with their poop all over the place! (Hypnotized...despite insane amounts of duck manure that seems illogical. But bees don't have that mess.)

People are funny right?

Hi!
We're getting our needs end of April. Our mentor, who is the president of the local bee club, said there's no problem keeping them near the chickens. They might share the water, but won't bother each other.

Good luck!

I have several beehives sitting on the ground and a heck of a lot of chickens. They work it all out by themselves. There is no problem.

I do notice that the bees seem to be a little calmer than normal. Beehives out in a deserted field will be on guard and ready to kick your ass or anything that approaches, but living in a yard with chickens seems to put them at ease "Ahhh probably just another chicken, nothing to worry about". That sort of thing.

Just like baby chickens however, you should generally refrain from putting bees in your mouth.

Happy to hear folks haven't had issues with bees and ducks cohabitation. oday This first day the bees are very upset with their new neighbors, but the ducks just moved from the front yard today. The bees leave me and and dog, who venture closer to the hive, alone. I hope they get it sorted because the ducks are terrified of the bees and are getting chased.

I know this is an old thread but I will update, hopefully with a happy backyard report.

Back
Top Bottom