chickens and ducks

Hi Tiara welcome to BYC! (Just in case you didn't know what website you were on
roll.png
I wanted Pekin ducks this year but went down the runner duck road instead. What sort of things would you like to learn about?

Hi! I have enjoyed reading some posts when I was looking up info and so I decided to join. I have a Thailand jungle fowl hen that has clumps of mud and poop stuck to her butt but all the other chicks are clean. Why is this? How can we prevent this?

Nice to meet you Tiara. Glad you joined the BYC flock. Sounds like she has pasty butt - put that in the search box for more info. She needs a good butt soaking in warm water with some Dawn regular dish soap to loosen the lumps of poo and ick. It may take some time to get them off, then rinse her well. She mat allow drying with a hair dryer set on low, or towels. Bundle her up and keep inside until she is dried. Then apply some vaseline to her bum to help prevent more clumping. Some folks say a small amount of apple cider vinegar in water, helps prevent a relapse.

Hi :welcome Tiara

Glad you could join the flock! Great advice there for you from drumstick on your hen and her butt problems. Hope you are able to get here cleaned up and sorted out. Be sure to ask any other questions you may have, the forum is very diverse with a section for everything.
Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hi Tiara, welcome to BYC!

@drumstick diva gave you some good advice on the pasty butt issue. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And just in case you haven't found it yet, here's a link to get you over to the duck side of BYC:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Nice to have you here!

Back
Top Bottom