Chickens and goats/sheep

blumatablo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
I'm thinking of getting goats/sheep (one or two) maybe both. The only problem, I don't know how they're going to get along with the chickens. Will they trample them? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Goats, sheep and chickens seem to generally get along fine. I would not put any very young birds in with them - accidents do happen, and they are not always able to protect themselves and avoid dangerous hard feet.

My goats and sheep have separate living quarters (chooks have fenced in, netted coop and run, but free range during the day). But the chickens definitely hang out with the goats. I did have one chicken with a broken leg that I think was from a goat. But for the most part, they ignore each other.

The chickens clean up any spilled grain, which can happen due to overexcited goats during feeding time. In fact, they all mob the area so that once the goats leave the feed pans alone, they can move in and get goodies.

Edit: I saw you were thinking or getting one or two goats or sheep (or both). Definitely plan on two animals. Why? Goats and sheep are both herd animals and stress out when kept alone. I'd recommend getting two sheep OR two goats, not one of each. Goats and sheep have different dietary needs. For instance, the levels of copper that a goat needs to be healthy is toxic to sheep. Meaning sheep that eat goat feed and minerals will eventually get copper toxicity from too much, and can die. On the flip side, a goat eating sheep feed and minerals will become deficient in copper, which will negatively impact their health.

Last edited:
My goats and sheep have separate living quarters (chooks have fenced in, netted coop and run, but free range during the day). But the chickens definitely hang out with the goats. I did have one chicken with a broken leg that I think was from a goat. But for the most part, they ignore each other.

The chickens clean up any spilled grain, which can happen due to overexcited goats during feeding time. In fact, they all mob the area so that once the goats leave the feed pans alone, they can move in and get goodies.

My set-up is the same way. My chickens have their own coop with an attached run, but with a little door to the goat pen. My little pygmy can fit in through the door, so I have to make sure there is no chicken feed in there when I let them out. I've never had a problem with trampling.

My chicken will also stand around the food bowl when I'm feeding the goats. Some try to sneak in there, and every once in a while they overwhelm the goat and take over her bowl.

Hi! -from western Ma. I have 12 chickens and my son has 11 goats of various ages. 2 of our Australorps live in with the goats and they get along fine. The one male goat we have has taken a shine to one of them and sometimes are seen lying side by side. Goats do need companions so please get at least two, they are easy to care for and very entertaining to watch. good luck!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom