1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and grass killer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by crooked stripe, Jul 13, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I have a drive that go's around the house down a hill to the barn. The grass is taking over and the stone are disappearing. It must be keep free of grass due the snow in the winter. Snowy grass drive makes for no traction. I was checking on putting grass killer on the drive at the hardware. No where on the labels does it say anything about how long the chemical will stay on the grass. My chickens free range and dig through the gravel looking for something to eat I guess. Has anyone had an experience with such a situation? I could keep the chickens in the coop for a week or so till the grass killer works. John

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Oh John I dont have an answer for you. I do not allow my hubby to use any kind of "killer" weather it be for weeds or grass because of my chickens.
    Im sure someone will come along and answer this for you.
    Good luck!

3. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I just used RoundUp down the center of our gravel driveway last week. Didn't hurt the chooks one bit. It's a herbicide and doesn't effect people or chickens. Don't you wish the chickens would do the weeding for you? [​IMG]

4. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Round up is supposedly safe to animals. It works by blocking a protein only found in plants.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I wouldn't use Roundup and I also would not assume it is safe around the birds either.
    did you use a weed mat for under the pebbles/stones in your driveway? If not do so...it works a treat

6. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I went on line and found a recipe for vinegar mixed with salt to kill weeds/grass and not harm my chickens. You have to keep reapplying, which is why I finally turned the driveway over to the grass/clover [​IMG] but I would prefer my poultry were completely safe from that kind of thing.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    if you use that and spray it onto the grass, then do not allow your brids to free range there untill you are sure there is no residue from the salt left on the exposed weeds/grass....salt is very toxic and will kill your birds quick.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I am just grateful for the education I get here.

Wow!

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    wow, thanks Diana, I didn't know that.

10. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    You could cover the areas with thick black plastic. The lack of light and the heat will kill the grass. The method is a little slow, and maybe unsightly for a front drive, but it works. It also kills the seeds and is completely chemical free, so chickie safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by