chickens and helicopters?

peepacheep

Crowing
14 Years
Dec 1, 2009
Cascade foothills, Oregon
Crazy question, does anyone have experience with chickens and helicopter logging?

I found out yesterday that 27 acres adjoining my property will be logged and lifted starting Monday. The Vertol helicopter will be flying 7 days a week fog and wind permitting. Trees will be cut within about 200' of my coop and pens. The timber company people say it is going to be loud.

It maybe a case of wait and see how hard it is on the chickens but I am trying to figure out a back up option for 15 hens and 2 roosters in 2 flocks. Setting up a daytime pen anywhere in the yard will only be marginally quieter. Debating about scrambling together a safe daytime pen further away from the house. Not sure what the predator risk will be with the noise or the stress on the chickens being moved back and forth. Staying in the coop and pens they are familiar with might be the least stressful. Wish there were mini ear muffs for chickens.

I have helicopter noise overhead every so often. These are traffic monitoring and news copters. Of course they are not there nonstop, but my hens did not react to them at all. The height is significant. Now when a hawk passes overhead, and virtually with no noise, my girls sound the alarm and head for cover. Must be some pretty expensive project for the use of helicopter to remove trees. BEST WISHES WITH YOUR FLOCK.

Not helicopters, but I've had neighbors doing lots of brush cutting and tree removal right next to my coop. We also do tractor work next to the coop (horse pen is right there), lawnmowing, etc. Never had an issue with the birds. I'd think as long as they feel they have shelter from overhead they'll be fine.

Thanks everyone. Their pens are covered, hopefully that will help. Fingers crossed they will be fine. It is going to be an interesting week.

cavemanrich, the timber surveyor told me low fuel prices are why this now possible. As you said, it must be some pretty good timber to make $3,000 per hour for Vertol helicopter hauling profitable. A Chinook cost $5,000 per hour.

I don't think the noise will bother the chickens. They seem to react to the sight of something flying overhead. We have planes that fly over and the birds all run to the barn. If it is cloudy and they can't see it, there is no reaction. If your coops are covered they should be OK. If most of the activity is on one side of the coop, you might want to cover that side with a tarp or plywood until the logging is done.

Back
Top Bottom