Chickens and Ice

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by michickenwrangler, Nov 17, 2009.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    With nights down into the 20s and days in the 50s, I've been going out in the morning with a jug of warm water to pour into the waterers to melt ice in the mornings. This morning, one hen Amelia pecked into the outdoor waterer and came out with a small piece of ice. Two other hens began running after her in "chicken keep away" around the far end of the coop. One chasing hen, Arrow, came back, marched straight to the waterer, pecked into it and a piece of ice flipped out. Blossom, another hen, saw it go flying, ran forward and snatched it, with an angry Arrow hot in pursuit. After Blossom ate the ice piece, she and Arrow returned to the waterer to peck out more ice, each getting their own piece. The other three hens sauntered over to check things out, pecked in and got their own. By this time, the rooster Fred decided he wanted what the hens had, so he pecked and got his own. When I finished up egg gathering and feeding, all seven were parked around the waterer pecking ice out of the bottom. Amusing behavior on a frosty morning [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Chickens are so funny. I bet most people don't realize how crazy some hens are about ice! I miss cold weather.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Amusing indeed! Our first frost was several days ago, and it surely froze up a thin layer of ice over their water, but none of the hens really cared. I broke it up, and they just drank up the ice-cold water like there was no tomorrow. . Kinda lame of a story compared to yours! [​IMG]

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

So far my chickens have not partaken in ice eating.

My ducks LOVE ice and complain until I break up the big pieces so they can nibble them down. Silly ducks. [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wish that would happen here. [​IMG] Real cute story, thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by