Chickens and parrots together

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by TerryQui, Jun 5, 2011.

1. TerryQui

TerryQui Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Columbus Ohio
    Hi everyone, I am trying to find out if chickens would be healthy to be around my parrots.
    Mycoplasma is a concern and I don't want to give it to my green cheek conures and lovebirds.
    I am about to raise baby chicks that are in my incubator.
    Does anyone have knowledge about this?
    http://www.feathersnsong.com

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    I have my birds in the same shed as my chickens and so far I haven't had any problems.

3. laughingdog

laughingdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    Newport Tennessee
    just be warned a parrot may pick up the crowing of a cockerel! think one of mine has.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    You shouldn't have a problem as long as you practice biosecurity. Just make sure you wash all bowls with anti-bacterial soap, wash your hands after touching chickens or parrots, and quarantine any new birds, or birds that have been around other birds (At a show, for example). Plenty of people have chickens and parrots and I've never known any of them to have issues!

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

My local grain store has several large parrots housed with their chickens. They all do great together and have been co-habitating for years!

6. SAMnELLA

SAMnELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2008
    North Florida
    I know this is an old thread but wondering....what about outside temps for parrots ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by