chickens and rooters dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Motherof4, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Motherof4

Motherof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Millbrook al
    My sons had 12 chicken and rooters in his pen. this morning all dead except one hen. I don't know what happen. we are in AL and there was frost on the ground this morning, it got down to 29, but all mind are OK. I will take his one hen and keep it in a smaller pen within the run, but because of the cold it is going to be hard.. for I can't but the small pen inside my coop just the run, how long do I need to keep them separate?? any ideals about what could of caused the death of all of them at ones??

2. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Was this from a predator? Or did they just die? If they just died then keep the remaining one away from your birds!

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    This temp can not be reson for the dead.I think is predator.

4. OhMyItsAndyy

OhMyItsAndyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    West England
    Give your remaining hen a very good check over. Check for any signs of illness or injury.

Then see to the dead birds. Are there any injuries from a possible attack?
    Maybe consider an autopsy thing?
    Any obvious symptons showing?
    Have they injured themselves in the barn?

5. Motherof4

Motherof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Millbrook al
    I don't know if predators was the cause or not. Two were found in the run next to the fence and the rest inside the coop/ old metal shed turned into the coop the run/coop is inside there back yard with there dog that can circle the whole pen. if i can't find out what happen then what is your opinion about us putting the small pen inside my husbands shed which is on the other side of the large yard

6. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I would not put the pen inside with your birds. I would keep her isolated for at least 30 days. As long as your birds can not come into contact with her any where would be fine. I would keep her in a draft free area and maybe even give her a heat lamp and warm her up a bit.

You can scramble her some eggs and give her a couple drops of Poly Vi-Sol (no iron). You might want to put some electrolytes in her water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by