Chickens and security

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by maggiegigs, Aug 26, 2010.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    My two pullets will NOT come out of the coop (its 10 days) unless I "shew" them out which they do oblige. They walk around the run for about 10 minutes pecking/eating and then want back in. If I do not let them back in right away they huddle together behind the coop which is nestled around forsythia bushes. They do not come around the front which faces the open paddock.
    Question: if I put more bushes around the front of the coop/run to give a sense of "enclosure" will this make them feel more secure or
    unafraid? Or am I wasting my money. Any info would be helpful. I feel like their "distressed"![​IMG]

2. DomesticGoddess

DomesticGoddess Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    From the sounds of it, they are scared of something! I would do what you can to make them feel more secure and if they still want to hang out in the coop, I wouldn't worry! Good luck.

edited for spelling:)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    You might try distracting them from their fear with some food (scraps or scratch grain) a little further away from the coop each day. Mine have never hesitated to leave the coop, but maybe yours just need some time.

4. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Thanks for the info. My husband scooted them out of the coop late this afternoon and they followed me to my deck and scooted over to the bushes. They enjoyed pecking around and just observing. After about 45 min. I called to them and they followed me out of the bushes and across the yard to the coop/run. They OF COURSE went in immediately. I have two border collies but they do not seem to care much about them. Perhaps I am mistaken. I do not let the dogs get to close though. I have been trying to integrate them gradually. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by