1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chickens and Shellfish

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ILoveJoe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Is feeding chickens shellfish safe? I have 2 points to my question.

1) Crushed mussel shells....I made Paella last night and have saved the mussel shells and the shells from the shrimp. I was thinking somehow I could crush the mussel shells...ie like oyster shells but am afraid there may be some sharp pointy bits.

2) Can chickens also eat the shrimp and mussels? I have set aside all the mussels that were open before cooking and thought I could cook them for the girls...?

Thanks in advance to any and all who can answer these questions.

2. Ivagrovegirl

Ivagrovegirl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2007
    I am not positive but I would think that they could a little bit of any of that. With or without my permission my chickens eat more strange things than goats. LOL:p So I wouldn't worry about it.
    Emily

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    That is a very good question. I would like to know if the mussel shells would be safe also. I think I read somewhere is the treats sticky about shrimp shells...hmmm maybe you can check that out to get part of your answer.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I've given our girls the shells of oysters with bits of raw oyster still attached to them and they love picking them over. They continue pecking at the shells long afterward, so they must be getting some sort of oystershell benefit too.

I'm sure shrimp would be fine too. Ours have eaten innards from lobster carcasses.

5. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    My girls love the shrimp leftovers. (the skin, if that what's you call it, the legs, etc) Oyster shell is recommended for giving hens calcium, so I would say you're good to go.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    They can certainly have the leftover and scraps from these animals. HOWEVER, I would throw away the mussels that were open before you cooked them. They are no good for anyone!

7. ixnay

ixnay Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Bridgton, Maine
    Don't you worry about fishy tasting eggs? I gave my girls leftover catfood that was fish based, and could taste the difference in my biscotti. I don't feed onion or garlic scraps either ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by