Chickens and snow...

Rhodieredmama0004

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
I live in northern Connecticut and we have about 8-10 inches of snow. Can I let my ladies out? I have 8 rhodie reds and 1 rock hen. I have read that they can get frostbite easily.

I have 8 RIR's too, among others--today was the first day it was warm (using the term loosely!) enough to let them out of the coop. They have been locked up in the coop for four days with a heater because it was -20 at night and only about 5 during the day. Today, I went to the store and bought a cabbage and shoveled out an area in the run, and propped open the door. They all dogpiled up at the door until I picked them up one by one (lazy buggers) and placed their delicate selves right next to the cabbage. Oh! A cabbage! Wonderful! They didn't last long initially and cruised back to the coop, but I have been watching them from the house and they are going back and forth now. My husband is going to shovel out a bigger area later. I haven't vaselined their combs yet--they were plenty warm in the heated coop (about 30 degrees at night). I would let them out if its over 25 degrees. But they will do what ever the heck they want to anyway!

I think you'll find that many, many people let thier chickens out in any kind of weather they (the chicks) care to go out in. I've seen lots of pictures, and read many posts, of chickens out in the snow, rain, etc. I'm in Northwestern RI and probably have pretty similar weather to yours. My girls don't particularly like the snow, I think because they don't really know what it is, but I open the doors for them and give them the choice. I would say just make sure they have a sheltered area to go into and let them choose where to play.
frow.gif

I just give mine access to the run and let them decide. None of my hens have gotten frostbite yet. They seem to know when to stay in. Even my free range birds to rather well. Although 2 of my roosters managed to get frostbite the other night.

We've been below zero for a week here and the girls don't have any problems with that at all. They don't like the deep snow but really enjoy grazing in the paths I made around the backyard for them, and me. If they get cold they huddle in the dry straw under their coop or go inside for a breather.

Back
Top Bottom