Chickens and temperature control cold or hot

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
This time of year we see a lot of posts about keeping chickens warm. And I think this comes from the position that most peoples common pet is a dog or a cat. Mammals coats change dramatically if they are outside where the temperature gets cold.

Chickens on the other hand, have feathers. Chickens keep warm or cooler by the position of the feathers. If the weather is cold, the feathers puff out, trapping a large amount of air in that space which holds the body heat close to the bird. When the temperature is hot outside, the birds holds the feathers close to the body, letting most of the body heat to leave. They position there wings away to also let the heat away. In the cold, they puff up like beach balls, trapping air and heat. This is why it is so important to reduce drafts in the coop and keep it dry. Dry feathers trap more heat. The chicken herself keeps herself warm, she really does not share body heat with another bird, but close together, they reduce any air currents moving around the coop.

Chickens legs handle cold differently. As in the blood leaving the body, is very close to the blood returning to the body. So the heated blood, releases the heat into the colder blood that has been in the feet. The cold blood, absorbs the heat so that the blood returning to the body is not as cold and does not cause the bird to go into shock.

The wattles and combs also release heat into the air. And with cold temperatures often times shrink to reduce this heat loss. In extremely cold weather, I have never had frostbit, but I live in a very arid place. People with higher humidity have more problem with this. When I will get frostbite, is if it gets very warm, the poop thaws, the water thaws and the snow melts - all raising humidity, and then get a sharp drop in temperature with the night. That dampness will get them. BUT while a bit of frost bite is a bit unsightly - it really has never caused a health issue for my birds. Some regions may have it much worse than me.

On a breezy day, when you go into the coop, the wind is gone, you are set up right. It should not be air tight, it should not be damp.

I hope this makes people more comfortable about their chickens being outside. Or about chickens going from 50 degrees to -20. This frequently happens in SD and does not phase my chickens. Keep them dry.

Mrs K

Last edited:
This time of year we see a lot of posts about keeping chickens warm. And I think this comes from the position that most peoples common pet is a dog or a cat. Mammals coats change dramatically if they are outside where the temperature gets cold.

Chickens on the other hand, have feathers. Chickens keep warm or cooler by the position of the feathers. If the weather is cold, the feathers puff out, trapping a large amount of air in that space which holds the body heat close to the bird. When the temperature is hot outside, the birds holds the feathers close to the body, letting most of the body heat to leave. They position there wings away to also let the heat away. In the cold, they puff up like beach balls, trapping air and heat. This is why it is so important to reduce drafts in the coop and keep it dry. Dry feathers trap more heat. The chicken herself keeps herself warm, she really does not share body heat with another bird, but close together, they reduce any air currents moving around the coop.

Chickens legs handle cold differently. As in the blood leaving the body, is very close to the blood returning to the body. So the heated blood, releases the heat into the colder blood that has been in the feet. The cold blood, absorbs the heat so that the blood returning to the body is not as cold and does not cause the bird to go into shock.

The wattles and combs also release heat into the air. And with cold temperatures often times shrink to reduce this heat loss. In extremely cold weather, I have never had frostbit, but I live in a very arid place. People with higher humidity have more problem with this. When I will get frostbite, is if it gets very warm, the poop thaws, the water thaws and the snow melts - all raising humidity, and then get a sharp drop in temperature with the night. That dampness will get them. BUT while a bit of frost bite is a bit unsightly - it really has never caused a health issue for my birds. Some regions may have it much worse than me.

On a breezy day, when you go into the coop, the wind is gone, you are set up right. It should not be air tight, it should not be damp.

I hope this makes people more comfortable about their chickens being outside. Or about chickens going from 50 degrees to -20. This frequently happens in SD and does not phase my chickens. Keep them dry.

Mrs K
Thanks so much for this post. We live in Colorado, and our overnight low on Wednesday is -15°.

Planning on doing a quick clean in the coop and adding extra fresh bedding before then. We may put up a tarp as a windbreak to keep drafts out. It doesn’t get that cold here very often, but I think they’ll be ok?

Thank you so much Mrs. K! That does make me feel better about our nighttime temps in the single digits coming up this week. I’m a new chicken mom and very worried about my girls since their coop is not finished yet. They have very small combs and I love them even more now!
They have several options for getting out of the weather and I hope they will choose wisely. I am thinking about adding another tarp to try and keep them a bit drier though.

Back
Top Bottom