Chickens and the cat

chickenmad129

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 16, 2013
I am getting some chicks very soon and wanting to protect them from cats as my neighbor gets visited by quite aggressive cats and could probably kill my chicks :( . I have looked at fence spikes but unsure if they would work, what would you suggest? Also 2 of the sides of fencing are fence panels so a cat may easily jump up and over. We aren't very keen on cover the run as it may make our garden look overcrowded and be an eye shore?!

Would be grateful of any suggestions please!
D.gif

If you cover the run with wire that would keep them out. Otherwise yes cats will climb the fence and get the chicks. As far as that goes so will many other predators. Good luck

We have a dog but i think he is a bit scared of cats! He does bark alot would this put them off?

Also if we got an cockerel would this put them off?

Last edited:
Unless you keep your chicks secured from all sides & the top cats will eat them. Broody hens and roosters won't even protect them because the cat is a patient & ruthless killer. He will stalk the chicks for hours until one strays or lags behind then he pounces. They will gradually dissappear until you have none left.

For the top I use rolls of deer netting that Lowes or HD sells for $15 for a 7x100 foot roll, supported by construction string. Not the most secure but I weigh cost vs security and it keeps cats out, which is the only preds I have a problem with. It's also great for making temporary day runs.
If I had more $$ I'd use chicken wire for the top.

I was just talking about fencing for cats with my sister recently that would keep them in a certain area. My sister who has cats talked about the show "my cat from hell". She said any fence with a 90 degree angle at the top will make a cat think it can't jump it. I am putting a link here to show you what it is talking about. I hope this may help.
We have cats around here but my 2 dogs keep them away from out fence line.
http://www.easypetfence.com/for-cats/

Last edited:
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. I have no experience fencing cats either in or out of an area other than putting a top on the pen. People have posted here that they use leaners on the top of their fences or an electric wire to keep perdators out. The link you posted looks effective, albeit something you would see at a maxium security state prison.

Last edited:
Cats will take chicks as they are small. Most cats won't take on standard sized adult chicken; an occasional cat will go for small bantams. Your run should be covered to keep out all the critters who like chicken; hawks, raccoons, possums, the list goes on... Some losses may be unavoidable, but it will be ugly if things aren't secure, especially at night. Mary

Back
Top Bottom