Chickens and the mosquito population

Alphau

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 25, 2010
Morganton NC
Sorry if this is the wrong section, couldn't find a more appropriate one. I'm a chicken newbie and was wondering if chickens make a dent in the mosquito population at all? Its getting warmer and I'm dreading the return of mosquitos - they will be free ranging in a pretty big fenced in yard. I tried to search for this but all the answers I found were fuzzy, any input into this is appreciated, thanks.

I'm a newbie too so I can't help.....but I can't imagine the little piranhas not eating everything they can get. You could lure the mosquites to them....or maybe that a bad idea for disease spreading....maybe someone else will answer
pop.gif

i haven't seen mine chasing mosquitoes yet. but i do know that there is a mosquito that likes to bite birds only and it can carry a version of EEE or WEE. so be careful trying to get them to eat mosquitoes or keeping them in or near swampy or watery areas. the affects on your chickens can be scary but rarely happen. it tends to affect pheasants more than chickens and it happened in Maine last summer due to all the rain we had for a full month. a local pheasant farm had to kill off their whole flock!

yes i would get some thing else for mosquitos,you could end up with EEE and your chickens would get paralyzed,it's a horrible death

Mosquitos also carry and spread fowl pox. Unfortunately I've had to deal with that and it's not fun. The only good thing is that once your chickens have been exposed to it, they are then immune to it.

Back
Top Bottom