Chickens and thunderstorms?

curiositykt

Songster
8 Years
Apr 4, 2012
Marlborough MA
So we put our pullets out a few weeks ago and they still haven't fully grasped the concept of roosting, but they normally go to the hen house instead of staying in their enclosed run when bed time rolls around. But tonight we have a line of thunderstorms headed our way so I decided to check to make sure they were in safe. Lo and behold, they were piled in a chicken pile right on the corner of the run, closest to our house, entirely exposed to the elements, smooshed up against the hardware cloth. I walked into the run and transferred each chicken up to the roost where they chirped indignantly at me and then eventually settled down to sleep.

Do storms influence their behavior? I would think the loud noises would make them want to go up to the safe enclosed space? The storm isn't here still, but the thunder has started in earnest.

Don't mind me. I'm posting just so I can follow this tread... I don't know of any other way to do that...
hide.gif

How old are they? My chicks are around 3 months old. I had to actually physically put them on the roost for about 5 days straight. Now they all go up to roost on their own at dusk. Might have to show them the way at first.

My 3 chickens will go into their coop at dusk and stay put whether there are thunderstorms or not.

But at 7 months old, these brother and sisters, will still lay in a "chick pile" in the corner of their nesting ledge. They ignore their nice roosting bar like the plague.
hmm.png

My chooks still sleep in a pile (theyre 8 months), they love the roost during the day but not at bed time.

They dont like their house in heavy rain or wind, I think the noise echoes inside ...maybe this is your issue as well?

Back
Top Bottom