Chickens and tree spraying

Fetche Le Poule

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 10, 2012
Marshallville, Ga
I am moving to the country soon and plan on raising 30+ chickens. My lands sits next to a pecan orchard. Can anyone tell me if the over spray from the pecan trees from pest spraying can harm the birds or will chemicals show up in the eggs?

welcome-byc.gif

I would find out what they are spraying, and then how they spray it (from airplane, on each tree, etc.). Then research based on that. I would at the very least try to be aware of when they are spraying, to keep the girls in during the spray, and then based on what it is, decide how close they can get and when based on that. Sorry couldn't provide more specifics. But welcome, glad you are here.

yes thay will hurt them and yes thay will show up in the eggs I live in the pecan cap. of the world georgia what thay use most of the time is dursband for silk worms you will want to put your coop on the corner away from the tree and you may need to cover it I might even try to put up some wooden fence to bock it from the wind blowing the over sray from coming in from the side on one hand you will not have lice lol good luck

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I agree with the above post. We lived in an area that got sprayed quite heavily and though it didn't harm my chickens noticeably I noticed them sneezing sometimes and it made us quite sick at times. Not ideal...

your welcome we live just out side of sylvester a place called isabella that`s in worth county and thir is a place in sylvester that on saterday at 1pm thay have a auction for live stock you can some times get chickens for as littel as a doller it is called the red barn come on down you may see me thir

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Just a word about bringing new chickens into your flock, especially those from sales. These birds should always be completely isolated from your flock for a minimum of 3 weeks to ensure they do not have diseases that can be passed on. There are many people who's flocks have been wiped out by contagious diseases brought home with new birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom