Chickens and Weeds... how safe?

southphoenixchick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
I wasn't sure if this went here or not so I apologize but I just couldn't find a better place to post it.

I want to start letting my girls out to free range a little each day, but I have a HUGE weed problem in my yard. I know that the chickens will enjoy the weeds and the bugs hiding in the weeds, but I'm worried the weeds might make them sick. I have two unknown weeds that are very common in our yard, and I have green amaranth and silver leafed nightshade. I'm mostly worried about the silver leafed nightshade since I know it is a toxic plant. How toxic, I don't know, but I wouldn't eat it myself, for sure. So the heart of this question is, can I free range my chickens with mystery and one known to people toxic weed, or must I eradicate the weeds first? (Which pretty much means they will never be free range because the silver leafed nightshade has been a five year long battle and we are losing).

I would wager they will eat little if any of it. I'd let them out and watch a while. Mine leave certain weeds and bushes, and eat others. One that they leave alone I know gives cows trouble. Also, tomatoes are in the nightshade family. Mine have been fenced in our garden with several living tomato plants for a couple of months. They eat the tomatoes but not the tomato plants -- and I've given my chickens tomatoes off and on for years.

I would wager they will eat little if any of it. I'd let them out and watch a while. Mine leave certain weeds and bushes, and eat others. One that they leave alone I know gives cows trouble. Also, tomatoes are in the nightshade family. Mine have been fenced in our garden with several living tomato plants for a couple of months. They eat the tomatoes but not the tomato plants -- and I've given my chickens tomatoes off and on for years.
x2 They do have years of survival instincts telling them what not to eat. I don't worry about what's "bad" for them to eat--I even put *gasp* raw potato peels in the coop! And avocado! And they ignore it!

Then again, just when I think they're smarter than I thought, they devour a block of styrafoam
hu.gif

x3. I never worry about what they eat while free ranging. They eat what tastes good to them, and those are the foods that are not toxic to chickens.

Mine eat all manner of things when they are out. I rely upon the developments of evolution to take care of what they eat. It seems to be working so far.

Chris

I grew these weed trees in my run for shade and cover all summer now they are in seed I have been cutting them down and giving the the seeds.

Sounds like everyone thinks I should try it. I worry a little since I know how toxic the nightshade is and it's currently in berries... but I know that if we don't let them eat them, then they'll never get to free range.

I have never known of chickens eating toxic plants. We have Nightshade all over our property & I've never seen the chickens eat the plant or the berries. As someone else pointed out they have instinct that tells them what to eat & what not to.

Back
Top Bottom