Chickens and wild mallards

Those are not mallards. The drake doesn't have the right coloring, and his neck is too long. Google Khaki Campbell Ducks. It looks like that's what you have on your hands. Might explain why they haven't flown away. That, and they have found a source of food, so they have no need to leave. If no one is claiming them, I agree with the above posters that they may have been dumped. You might want to start thinking about whether or not you're going to adopt them or find them a new home.

Wow! I stand corrected! Sorry everyone - definitely khaki campbell - they even fit the personality!

Ok - I have a neighbor who is a duck rehabilitator who responded to my community post and is willing to take them in. But if they are truly domesticated (and I always wanted ducks) should I take them in and provide them with a permanent home? And should I go that route, how do I treat/prevent disease that they may have contracted since being dumped? So many questions!

Wow! I stand corrected! Sorry everyone - definitely khaki campbell - they even fit the personality!

Ok - I have a neighbor who is a duck rehabilitator who responded to my community post and is willing to take them in. But if they are truly domesticated (and I always wanted ducks) should I take them in and provide them with a permanent home? And should I go that route, how do I treat/prevent disease that they may have contracted since being dumped? So many questions!
I don't do ducks, but I'll chime in anyway
wink.png
. You have advertised these ducks and received no response, right? In that case, since they have adopted you and you want ducks, do your research and find out how to properly care for them and meet their ducky needs. As far as disease treatment/prevention, it's too late to quarantine them from your chickens so we won't even go there. If I were in your shoes, as long as they are eating, drinking, and acting healthy I would not treat for anything you can't see. If you can get your hands on them and check for external parasites, do so and treat if needed. If nothing shows up, all the better! Maybe the duck experts out there can be of more help.

I think the Duck rehabilitator would be able to answer most of your questions face to face conversation.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom