Chickens are dieing... I don't get it

Reptigirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, Tx
I don't get it... I've lost 4 chicks in less then a month to a mystery. I lost my beautiful bantam cochin hen tonight. She was fine not 10 minutes before. I was tossing everyone there night time snack of scratch grains. (Maybe about 2 lbs between 30 chickens.) She was happily eating, I saw my smallest rooster try to breed her and she chased him away, went back to eating. I was out to the garden for no more then 10 minutes and I find her dead on the ground about 20 feet from where I last saw her. Still really warm. No signs of trauma. No runny nose. She was bright eyed and fine just minutes before.
sad.png
She was about 2 years old and one of my 1st chickens.

I lost an orphington pullet that was 6 months old last week. Curled up on the coop floor.

A few days before that I lost my black Cochin rooster. Curled up dead in a nest box. He was about a year old.

And a few days before that I lost my Giant Black Frizzled Cochin rooster who was only a year (He was kept in a different pen with only 1 other chicken and a goat)

All of these chickens have been bright eyed and appeared healthy.

I worm with safeguard only if I see tapeworms. I use Wazine (twice yearly). They all got 1 day of Wazine ... then 10 days later Ivomec....and then 10 days later Ivomec again. Last dose of Ivomec was about a month ago. I've never lost a chicken due to the worming. I don't see how it could be related? We have a LOT of worms here so I try to keep on top of things. Mainly we have a lot of roundworms and tapeworms. I usually have to treat every 3 months or so for tapes when I start seeing them in the poo. Could I be worming too much?

Everyone here has been looking amazing this year and laying like crazy! I've probably hatched out 100 chicks this year under broody hens and our fridge is full of eggs. Really high fertility on all the eggs I set in the incubator. I can't figure this out.

My ONLY guess is my neighbor doesn't like my chickens because one of my orphingtons found a way through the fence and into their very precious garden. They were not to thrilled. Well that chicken died so no more chickens in their yard... I don't want to THINK anyone is tossing something over here.. but I can't figure it out.

Ideas? I've spend a LOT of money getting some of my cochins and I'm scared I'm going to lose more.

I am so sorry for your losses
hugs.gif

For yours and your flocks' sake, have the last one lost necropsied. You will get your answer and know for sure what is happening. Most states have a lab that will do them for little or no cost.

The bird can be refridgerated, not frozen, until you can find someone to do the necropsy.

Again, so sorry for your loss.

Safeguard is probably the safest wormer on the market. So I dont see it as an internal or external parasite problem. Have you checked their feed to see if it's moldy?
I have to agree with the others, a necropsy would be best. You can contact your county extension agent or state department of agriculture to find out how to go about doing this. Or you can contact a university or college vet school and have them do a necrospy. Some states charge a fee or do it for free.

Food is fresh, no mold. Looking around now for someone to do a necropsy. Looks to be around $40 to send off to a lab. Cheaper then the losing 4 really nice birds. =/

$40 is a great price..especially for peace of mind...and since my avian vet wanted $400 and so did everyone else. I was thrilled to find the state lab and found out that they would do parasite checks, etc. also.

I hope you get your answers soon so that you will know how to protect those precious cochins..I just love cochins :)

Back
Top Bottom