chickens are funny creatures

wendy

On the Hill
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
central louisiana
for the past 2 years we have not used a light in the coop for winter time. but this year with the economy the way it is and more people buying eggs from us now. i decided to put a light in the coop. so about a week ago i added it.

let me say last year i was lucky in winter to get 2 eggs every few days!

with the light i get some days 6, then 9, then 11, then 6, then 7, then 8 then 11
hu.gif

dont know why they can not be consistant with the light. i put it on early in the morning to make sure they get 14 hours a day of light.

oh well , i will take what we can get. just wish that coon did not get 5 of my pullets. then i would have 5 more that would be laying this winter some too.

wendy

My light goes on every morning about 4:30 and I don't put it on in the evening.

Out of 27 layers I average 24 eggs a day.

I like it better when they go to roost naturally in the evening. I actually get more eggs now than before when I had the light on at night.

We have our light on in the morning, and the chicks are right next to the hen house, so their lamp is on and the older birds have not changed their routine one bit since adding the lamps - except we get more eggs. they still go in a dusk, roost and go to sleep.

i only put the light on in the morning, at 4 am every morning. no evening light, just let them roost naturally with dusk.

i am not getting consistant results for some reason?
hu.gif

wendy

Back
Top Bottom