chickens are hard work

You are making too much of it, or you don't have a secure situation and need to evaluate and make some changes.

I have a coop inside my totally enclosed run. I enclose my chickens in the early afternoon into the run, they can go into the coop and roost whenever they want, and can come out in the morning whenever they want. If I am going to be out late at night, I leave them in the run, they don't get to free range that day, but do have plenty space inside the run.

Working days, I get down there about 7:15. I take the feed and water for the day. Week-ends, it might be noon. If we want to be gone a day or so, I make sure there is a good supply of feed and water, longer than that, I have a neighbor check them.

I don't stress out with them, just enjoy them and getting the eggs. I certainly think you made a mistake choosing not to celebrate with a man that has been there for 20 years, over some chickens. I have different priorities, my husband and our marriage is rather high on the list. We went on a week long trip.

Mrsk

I made my girls a poop hammock out of old soft vinyl someone gave me and I hook it under their roost... once a month I go out unhook the hammock take it to my compost pile empty it spray the vinyl with water hose let dry outside and hang back before bed ....I have very very little poop in the coop! It was cheap to make and lets me have way more time with my girls........ My auto door is my 6 yr old she always lets the girls out before school............hope I helped
celebrate.gif

I really love my hens, but I am finding it is so much work.
Getting up early to let them out. Rushing home at night to make sure they are locked up. Cleaning up the poop every week. Keeping the food filled, looking out for predators, keeping the water clean and filled.

I just got an automatic door, maybe this will help.
WOndering if I made the right decision. I just had 8 babies hatch and they will have to be introduced to the other grown hens eventually, so that is another project.
It's been a year now that I have had them, I do like the eggs, just am not sure it is worth all the work.
I also have 8 parakeets that I have been so busy with, 2 of them are just weaned babies, yesturday was thier last day on the formula.
My hubby and I couldn't go awat on our 20th. anniversary, because we didn't have a bird sitter..................ridiculous..
ANY NEW IDEAS TO MY SITUATION WOULD BE GREAT.

THANKS

So how exactly are they any different than any other creature,pet or livestock? I think they are rather easy as compared to most maybe with the exception of fish. Dogs and cats both need to be let in and out more than just once a day,possibly cleaned up after depending on your yard or neighborhood. Don't even get me going on a litter box, thats why I don't have a cat but not the only reason. You also got to feed and water them every day, and depending where you live predators are an issue for cats and some dogs. Larger livestock also have their series of issues too just like cats and dogs they have the same needs. The only difference is most predators won't fool with full grown animals except maybe a wolf or wolves. Calves,foals,piglets and the like would be susceptible to predators larger than them. Which brings me to the next point, when a creature is little no matter what the type absolutely they are work. No questioning that. Health issues are always a concern for ALL creatures great and small,at least small can be brought to the vet.

So to summarize, I am not critical of your thinking just merely stating that all animals are work, more so when juveniles. For me it would be only work if I didn't enjoy it. My SIL has 5 horses and a loaner she is in the care of for her business, 4 goats,2 dogs, umpteen cats, and a rabbit. From what I seen she is a slave to them BUT she enjoys it so it is not a lot of work to her. Basically it is only as hard as you make it,there is a wide range of proper care for animals. Being a slave to any of mine is not in the cards,per SE. Just treat them for what they are,chickens. They have a modest coop, a large area to roam,always have feed and water and a place to hang out during all sorts of weather and to avoid a predator. Do I spoil them? No. Do I neglect them? No. I feel that I give them all they require for a happy, healthy life. Some might give them more and some less but what I do works for the chickens and me.

I think by far the easiest of animals as all animals need the same(feed,water,care,cleaned up after) But chickens give you something nearly every day that you can eat versus other creatures that don't. A dairy cow or goat will give you milk but you have to milk them to get it but for them to provide milk you know what comes before the milk. A chicken leaves you a present all you do is collect the bounty. Sorry if I have rambled,again not critical of your thought process but I tell everyone how easy they actually are.

Last edited:
All I do is make sure they have fresh food and water. Besides that not much to do. They let themselves out in the morning, put themselves away at night.I clean out the coop twice a year. Thats the only chore I dont like. I put the litter in the compost bin then pressure wash the iniside. That gets a little nasty with all that poopy water flying around. But its only 2 times a year. I find them less demanding than the family dog.

I always thought chicken raising was easy but I think it depends on how much you love the job.

For me it is a way to get me out of the house and get me moving without my chickens I would be stuck indoors and bored to death.

I have to lug water from the front yard to the back cause we don't have a water hose near the back.

I feed them only once in the morning and then they range the rest of the day and they put them selves back in at night.

Perhaps you aren't at a point in your life right now when chickens are a good fit. if they don't fit into your lifestyle, then they don't. There is no shame in re-homing them and waiting a few years before trying chickens again.

So how exactly are they any different than any other creature,pet or livestock? I think they are rather easy as compared to most maybe with the exception of fish. Dogs and cats both need to be let in and out more than just once a day,possibly cleaned up after depending on your yard or neighborhood. Don't even get me going on a litter box, thats why I don't have a cat but not the only reason. You also got to feed and water them every day, and depending where you live predators are an issue for cats and some dogs. Larger livestock also have their series of issues too just like cats and dogs they have the same needs. The only difference is most predators won't fool with full grown animals except maybe a wolf or wolves. Calves,foals,piglets and the like would be susceptible to predators larger than them. Which brings me to the next point, when a creature is little no matter what the type absolutely they are work. No questioning that. Health issues are always a concern for ALL creatures great and small,at least small can be brought to the vet.

So to summarize, I am not critical of your thinking just merely stating that all animals are work, more so when juveniles. For me it would be only work if I didn't enjoy it. My SIL has 5 horses and a loaner she is in the care of for her business, 4 goats,2 dogs, umpteen cats, and a rabbit. From what I seen she is a slave to them BUT she enjoys it so it is not a lot of work to her. Basically it is only as hard as you make it,there is a wide range of proper care for animals. Being a slave to any of mine is not in the cards,per SE. Just treat them for what they are,chickens. They have a modest coop, a large area to roam,always have feed and water and a place to hang out during all sorts of weather and to avoid a predator. Do I spoil them? No. Do I neglect them? No. I feel that I give them all they require for a happy, healthy life. Some might give them more and some less but what I do works for the chickens and me.

I think by far the easiest of animals as all animals need the same(feed,water,care,cleaned up after) But chickens give you something nearly every day that you can eat versus other creatures that don't. A dairy cow or goat will give you milk but you have to milk them to get it but for them to provide milk you know what comes before the milk. A chicken leaves you a present all you do is collect the bounty. Sorry if I have rambled,again not critical of your thought process but I tell everyone how easy they actually are.
Well said duckinnut! I too tell people how easy it is to care form them, in comparison to any other domesticated farm animal. It's all relative... :)

Well said duckinnut! I too tell people how easy it is to care form them, in comparison to any other domesticated farm animal. It's all relative... :)

It is actually a double-edged sword here.
tongue.png
I was just with an egg customer and she asked the question, "are they a lot of work?" Silly me says "not at all'.
barnie.gif
Then I said "more work than they are worth" but by then it was too late. I want people to think that I really labor to give them a quality product but in reality I have the easiest part. Maybe I am too honest and tell people the truth,guess that is why I am not a real salesman or a lawyer.
lau.gif

O.K. I NEED TO GIVE AN UPDATE----------------------THE AUTOMATIC DOOR WAS THE BEST INVESTMENT I EVER MADE !
I find that now I know my girls are safe in the coop, and I don't have to rush home from work. I am much happier now.
Plus I am going to try that hammock idea, I am cleaning the poop out every week and the hammock will really help.

I LOVE...LOVE LOVE THE AUTOMATIC CHICKEN DOOR WITH THE SENSOR. OPENS AND CLOSES WITH THE LIGHT............FANTASTIC.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THEIR IDEAS, AND I AM MUCH MORE RELAXED SO I CAN ENJOY THEM MORE.

Back
Top Bottom