Chickens are in the rain - should I ????

NewHobbyForMe

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Missouri
Should I make them go back in the coop or let them decide how wet they want to be??

I usually do not let them out in the rain but it was not raining the morning when I let them go outside.

Now they are all standing in the rain, looking pretty soaked, will this bother them??

Thank you for any input.

hu.gif

Unless they are babies in danger of getting chilled, leave em be. If they have the option of going back in the coop and don't, they know what they are doing.

Mine like the rain, but hate the wind. (Duh! Ruffles they pretty feathers.) They saunter around in gentle rain, take cover once in a while, preen some, dash through a shower to puddles, scratch up worms, have a great ol' time.

They should be fine.. My girls were out all day yesterday and it was cold, windy and rainy... If i put them up they would probably bust down the pop door...

THANK YOU THANK YOU...... Yes they do have a choice of going in a nice dry, draft free, lights turned on, food and water coop. They will be six months old in March, 4 BR's, 3 BO's, 4 Austrolorps, 1 Brahma Rooster. I also have 4 RIR's that are laying and they pretty much run the younger chickens out when they're laying. I wanted the rain to wash them off a bit, but didn't want to cause harm. I have been giving them Poly Vi-Sol and ACV in their water every day just to keep them healthy. I've already lost four chickens and now I have one Austrolorp with a broken leg. I've wrapped it but he is just not getting any better. I may have to put him down. Any suggestions would help me out alot. He just started limping one day and has gotten worst, not able to walk very fast and the others were starting to peck him so he is on my screened in porch getting the pampered male treatment, he got scrambled eggs this morning with vitamins on them. Hoping he can re-coop from this.

Last edited:
Quote:
Have you tried posting this question in the Diseases Injuries and Emergencies section of the forum? You would get good help there. Are you sure it is a broken leg and not bumblefoot (an infection)?

Best of luck,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom