CHICKENS ARE NOT STUPID

roosmom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 3, 2008
upper peninsula
I dont know what I thought when we got these chickies. Having never had any before, other than being deathly afraid of them, I guess I didnt know what to expect. Then we got them at one day old and GEE they dont stink, they dont eat their own poo. They arent mean. They are nothing like I expected. Then they get older, it seems like one day I come home and the run stinks to high heaven, wholey-wa. Then I get pecked, GEE that wasnt so bad, I just pecked them back. No problem. Then the rate of food being consumed goes sky high, even tho they free range for half day on weekdays and all day on weekends they still eat ALOT. Supplementing helps I guess, treats too. I dont know seeing as how we have always supplemented and gave them treats. It really is something to have them all come running when you walk out the back door.
BUT no one can say they are stupid, I am sorry I wont believe it. Thru all the pooping, pecking and eating.....I am glad we got them. They have been a good experience.
My ROO, gets up on the deck and crows until I open the door for him to come in. He isnt satisfied with me coming out, he has to come in. He walks around the living room (no he doesnt poop) checks things out, I pick him up and warm his little feeties. I tell him that he is a big boy, and how much he has grown, how red his wattles are etc. He only does this once every evening, as if to check and make sure I am ok. My husband comments on how large he is, bigger than all the rest of the chickens. He thinks it is because I pay more attention to him. Maybe.......Maybe it is because I tell him that all this will one day be his LOL.
Anyway, you cant say chickens are stupid.

Last edited:
They are not stupid,,,,not even close,,,,and I'm more attached to my Roo too,,,or maybe my Roo is attached to me,,,He knows when I'm in here on BYC,,,,I don't know how he knows,,,but he does. It's the only time he crows at me through the window,,he never crows when I'm cruzin the net,,,or checking my accounts on line,,,only when I'm on here. He knows when I'm talking about him behind his back,,,,He's crowing and talking to me right now,,,through the window,,,he can't even see me,,,but he knows,,,,haha
D.gif
gig.gif

I agree. Chickens aren't as stupid as they are portrayed.
We have been able to train our girls to go into their coop with a snap of our fingers. They constantly study new things and can figure them out in short order.
They are such great companions. I sit in the garden swing and they lay as close to the run and me as they can.Yesterday, we all took a fifteen minute catnap. Me in the swing and they laying on their side in the run.
Seems to me they really respond to the tone in your voice. Not much different than my cats. And to be honest when my cats do their business it will make you run for cover. One chicken can poop and you can at least stay were you are.
big_smile.png

YOU HAVE BEEN KIND TO THEM, AND THEY ARE DEMONSTRATING THEIR GRATITUDE AND AFFECTION. lOOKS GOOD ON YOU- WELL DONE!

No they are not stupid. Their mentality is centered around hard-wired flock behavior, like little velociraptors, with a heart.
wink.png

I agree, I've always had horses, dogs and cats. Never a bird of any kind, but these just showed up at work and my dh brought them home to me. They are so much smarter than I ever thought... they hear my lawn mower start up and they come running. They are so in the way, catching bugs, moths and grasshopers, that I literally have to stop where I am, because they are so focused and know that if I on the mower...dinner's a com'in.
wee.gif

I am so glad to know I'm not the only one who's chickens like to come in the house. Mine come up on the back steps and peck on the door. When I let them in they immediately look for the jar of cracked corn kept next to the door. Yes, they are quite smart! Oh yeah, and they try to sneak the dog's food when we aren't looking. That's gross because, well it's made with chicken!!!! Ewwww!

My Roo Robin comes when I call him... how's that for smart? Even if I call from the window he runs to the door on the fence and will stare at the door waiting for me. My DH and kids don't even do that! The rest know "Chick chick" means there's food coming and not their normal food but TREATS! And when dusk hits... they hit the hay. Although the only stupid thing my chickens do is when the Roo's try to "challenge" me!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom