Chickens are on "LOCKDOWN"

Hmm, think before you post.

Fencing is the only way I know of to keep the chickens out of the garden. I don't think they would too kindly to leashes.

Fencing in the house is out. Fencing in the flower beds is out.

My chickens get into anything that seems to offer a cool spot to sit and to scratch which often is amongst the flowers. You can tell where they've been because many of the flowers are trampled. They don't just eat, they look for shade and scratch for insects and other protein supplying critters.

I don't have a backyard and I don't know what the OP's backyard looks like. I have two runs for when I am away. I do have a vegetable garden in progress, the chickens took care of it for me so it is getting fenced in. I have an orchard of sorts. It is getting fenced in and will be the "range" for the chickens unless I am giving them free access to the rest of the yard.

So Steve, make the run as big as you can. Your chickens will appreciate it.

Hey Steve....just noticed your signature line.... when did you get 28 chickens????? Didn't you get like 8?? When did you sneak the others in?? You know we'll need pics of them now!
tongue2.gif

Oh the poor baby!! I know you don't name your chickens!!
hmm.png
Good for you, even tho I don't think I could ever do that. I use to be a city girl!

Quote:
I wondered that too. According to google, it is a description of certain low yield, below ground nuclear tests.
Lesse see what she says....

Hi Steve- Free ranging did'nt work so well for me either. I have a chicken run that is secure (10 ft x 32ft) when I'm at work. I also have I chicken yard which at the moment is about 100 ft x50 ft, but I plan on expanding it. This is as close to free range that I can let my chickens do. Its keeps them off my neighbors yard and their dogs away from them. Its just 4 ft high welded wire set with t-posts.
I was also wondering if there are botanical companies that sell something like Marigold oil, or Garlic, which would be nasty tasting to the chickens and could be sprayed on the flower beds. But on second though it could be considered "seasoning"
roll.png
Good Luck.

Quote:
I wondered that too. According to google, it is a description of certain low yield, below ground nuclear tests.
Lesse see what she says....

lau.gif
No, no, no, it isn't a sinister underground nuclear test movement. I used the teapot smiley in my sig, Nifty deleted it to make room for another, I protested, and (I think this may have something to do with being from the Boston area and the Boston Tea Party, but I'm not sure) I became a member of the Teapot Underground. Now let's resume our regular thread!
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom