Chickens are piling on floor at night

skrasienko

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 8, 2009
Lorain County Ohio
What would be the cause for my chickens piling on top of one another at night there are 28 chickens but they seem to pile on each other the temp is about 75 degrees in the coop and theres plenty of room i do have roosts that about 6-7 of them use i even tried moving them to the roosts a couple times to no help they just hop down and pile up in the corner again. one has died already from being trampled on any advise will be appriciated

I found out that chickens cant see in the dark. I put a night light in my coop and put each one on the roost real close together and they went to the roost by themselves from then on.

Hope the nightlight works. They are just scared.

That happened to me a month or two ago when it was storming and thundering really hard. They all piled up in the corner and a couple were dead in the morning.
sad.png

What I did was take a small bucket, or large flowerpot and put it upside down in the corner(s). That way they can't get close in and someone won't get squished.
wink.png

PS: I have a nightlight, too.

Last edited:
I have the light in there its on the ceiling so it lights up the room (red light) but no matter what i try they keep going to the side and piling up

Back
Top Bottom