Chickens are sick

Mtherunner3

Hatching
Jun 7, 2017
I need help! I noticed that my chickens are sick. They seemed to have lost weight. They look normal but when you pick them up they are just bones and feathers. They have their eyes closed. They spend most of their times laying down with their eyes closed. Some of them have slime coming out of theirnose and one chicken jerks her head. One chicken died yesterday and I do notknow what to do. Please help!!! I do not want more to die.

Attachments

• IMG_3593.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3594.JPG
    IMG_3594.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3596.JPG
    IMG_3596.JPG
    337.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3598.JPG
    309.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3600.JPG
    IMG_3600.JPG
    414.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3602.JPG
    IMG_3602.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3603.JPG
    IMG_3603.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 7
Need more info, are these chickens very young. Are they around other chickens or did you bring new chickens in to a older flock. Are they are medication food. Have you had them De-wormed. Are they around mice or rats. I have had sick chickens before the 1st thing i do is take a egg & mix it up & feed it to the chicken with a eye dropper, so they have protein right a way, I also give them a lot of water too hopefully that will help until you more info

Get some electrolytes and vitamins to put in their water. Scrambled egg with some garlic and oregano in them. Are their vents clean? Worms in their poop? Check for mites under the feathers. How is their breathing?

Hi @Mtherunner3 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry you lost one.

Can you take one to a vet?
What are you feeding?
What does their poop look like?
Any other symptoms beside the discharge from the nostrils - coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.?
Are their crops emptying overnight?

Having "slime" from the nose - I assume it is mucous. This could be an indication of one of the many respiratory diseases that chickens can have. Some other causes would be dusty bedding/feed, not enough fresh air/poor ventilation and molds/fungus.

As suggested - watch to see that they are drinking well. Add some poultry vitamins to the water if you have them. Offer chick starter free choice - you can give it wet if desired to see if that's more palatable. Sick chickens often will take chopped egg or tuna as well.

Keep us posted.

Need more info, are these chickens very young. Are they around other chickens or did you bring new chickens in to a older flock. Are they are medication food. Have you had them De-wormed. Are they around mice or rats. I have had sick chickens before the 1st thing i do is take a egg & mix it up & feed it to the chicken with a eye dropper, so they have protein right a way, I also give them a lot of water too hopefully that will help until you more info
Yes they are young chickens and they are around other chickens but have separate coops. No they are not on medication food and no they are not de-wormed. And no. Thanks for the info.

Get some electrolytes and vitamins to put in their water. Scrambled egg with some garlic and oregano in them. Are their vents clean? Worms in their poop? Check for mites under the feathers. How is their breathing?[/QUOTE No worms, no mites, and breathing is ok. Thanks for the info.

Runny noses sounds like a respiratory problem. They might have spread a respiratory infection around. Are they sneezing? Does their breathing sound funny?

Your best bet might be handing them to a veterinarian?

In the meantime, make sure they stay warm by providing a heat source. Give them electrolyte water through a syringe if they won't drink on their own. Hydration is very important in ensuring your chicken recovers.

For food, scrambling eggs is a good thing to feed them to help them gain weight. (Olive oil will keep it from sticking to the pan, and it can also lubricate their insides if something is stuck.)

Hi @Mtherunner3 :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry you lost one.

Can you take one to a vet?
What are you feeding?
What does their poop look like?
Any other symptoms beside the discharge from the nostrils - coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, etc.?
Are their crops emptying overnight?

Having "slime" from the nose - I assume it is mucous. This could be an indication of one of the many respiratory diseases that chickens can have. Some other causes would be dusty bedding/feed, not enough fresh air/poor ventilation and molds/fungus.

As suggested - watch to see that they are drinking well. Add some poultry vitamins to the water if you have them. Offer chick starter free choice - you can give it wet if desired to see if that's more palatable. Sick chickens often will take chopped egg or tuna as well.

Keep us posted.
Other symptoms include sneezing and they close their eyes but their eyes are not watery. They are droopy and are inactive. They just lay down.

Back
Top Bottom