Chickens are sleeping backwards.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jimz1, May 19, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I checked on the chickens this morning after work, 2:45 am, and saw all of them on the roost facing the wall. We have a 250 watt bulb in there just in front of the roost.Could they be sleeping this way because it is too bright? Do I still need the light on even though the nights still get down into the 30s and 40s?

2. susannemw

susannemw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Maine
    how old are they?

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'll be interested to hear answers on this. It was my understanding that they can sleep every which way.

4. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    Almost 2 months old

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Some of mine sleep facing in, others facing out. As long as they make it up to the roost, have enough room, and sleep comfortably, I cannot fathom for the life of me exactly why the direction they face would matter. I think you are worried over absolutely nothing.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Doesn't matter which way they sleep, but yes, I'd say they're facing that way because the light is too bright. Assuming they're about 8 weeks old?? If your coop is snug (no drafts) they will probably do okay without a lamp. But if you're still concerned, use a red bulb of a much lower wattage - maybe 60-75??? They sell them at pet stores.

7. DelilahJones

DelilahJones Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2011
    My 8 week olds sleep that way too. I wouldn't be concerned.

8. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens will face either direction, sleeping beak to tail or side by side. But as long as your not having cold nights, you can probably dispense with the light at night. I do have the lights on a timer so that my nights are "shorter" in order to keep egg production up, but your girls aren't laying yet. Like all animals, they have a sleep/wake cycle. By having light on 24 hours a day, you are kind of messing with that. Let them have some "dark" time to sleep better. If it gets very cold (hopefully not that bad in May!) you could consider heat lamp, but I had my girls in an uninsulated coop in below 0 degree weather with no problem, and no heat source (other than a heated waterer to keep water from freezing)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by