Chickens at last - maybe!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Catlynn, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Catlynn

Catlynn New Egg

Jul 31, 2009
    Hello All.
    It's been a while since I last posted. Currently live in a chicken-unfriendly town (ten years, and never did win the battle with the local board). BUT - my husband just got transferred to Lansing, MI, a city which allows up to five hens [​IMG] ! as long as other rules are followed (no roosters, 10 feet from neighboring property lines, 40 feet from residential structures, scrupulous avoidance of vermin attraction). As we look for a house, lot size is one of my key requirements, in order to abide by the above distance restrictions. Hubby - NOT a chicken enthusiast - is looking only for the cheapest possible home in decent condition in a decent neighborhood, and doesn't care if the lot is the same size as the house. I really hope to win this one... and if I do: would love to connect with some backyard chicken farmers in Lansing, and with good local resources since I'm a newbie. I won't actually be moving to Lansing until spring 2014 - hubby moved ahead of me and is renting. But I want to be prepared. A question: if you were limited to keeping, say, THREE hens, what breed or breeds would you choose that are: docile/friendly sorts; good egg-layers (I will not be using them for meat); hardy/disease resistant; tolerant of cold climates. Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Yay! I have friends who are in Lansing/Holt area. It's nice there.

I love my buff orpingtons. Right now, I have hatchery birds but am hoping to buy some heritage ones this spring. But, even hatchery , they're amazing.

I also love my Welsummer, she's friendly and inquisitive.

3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! The Henderson chicken breed chart also compares a lot of the common breeds so far as cold hardiness, egg laying etc goes. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html Have to say I like the Sussex (speckled) and Wyandottes (blue laced reds especially) as very pretty-colored, fairly cold hardy decent egg layers, for more just good egg layers I would go with one of the red sex links.

5. Catlynn

Catlynn New Egg

Jul 31, 2009
    Thank you!

6. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

My Buff Orpingtons are almost dog like, following me around. I wouldn't give my White Leghorns up for anything, egg laying machines. My Araucanas are so cool blue eggs are amazing.
    So I would get one or two of each.
    Welcome and enjoy BYC!
    Steve :frow

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hubby doesn't know it yet but, the odds are in your favor that he will become infatuated with chickens. Many reluctant spouses change their tune once the birds have taken residence. Then he will want more space for them.

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by